Charleston, Clendenin & Sutton Railroad
The Charleston, Clendenin & Sutton Railroad (CC&S) was completed along the south bank of the Elk River in 1890. The line was extnded to Clay, WV in December, 1895. The first passenger train was run between Clay and Charleston, WV on December 10, 1895. The terminus of the road remained at Clay until 1900 whe the line was extended to Ivydale, 12 miles above. In 1903 the CC&S was purchased by Henry Gassaway Davis and his associates and organized under the name of the Coal & Coke Railway.