The Coalburgh or Coalburg mine was one of the earliest commercial mining operations in the Kanawha Coal Field, first opened in 1856.
From: Engineering and mining journal, Volume 23 (1877)
Coalburg mines, 353 miles from Richmond (Stuart M. Buck & Co. leasees). There are two mines, one recently opened and preparing to ship, producing in all about 200 tons a day. These coals have long been known in the Western markets, and are in special demand for locomotive engines, iron works (including blast furnaces) and for choice family fuel. This coal is hard strong and bright, kindles readily, has an unusually small percentage of ash, and bears distant transportation with inconsiderable breakage. On this account it is used largely (together with the coal of the adjoining Lewiston and Coalmont Mines) by many railroads, and more especially by the Virginian Midland, the Atlantic, Mississippi & Ohio, and the Kentucky Central Railroads as a locomotive fuel.
The Coalburg. "Coalburg Splint" has been a household word in the old homes of Virginia and Kentucky for many years. It is really the pioneer seam of the Kanawha of Middle measures and was called "Splint" from its resemblance to the Scotch coals of that quality. Its great value became known about 1853, when it was opened and mined by Col. Wm. H. Edwards at Coalburgh, from which the place takes its name. It was shipped in barges down the Great Kanawha River to Cincinnati and other Western river cities. These original Coalburg mines have been worked continuously ever since, with the exception of the four years during the war between the States. ... It is a firm and strong coal, which is much prized for open grates.
From: Colliery Engineer, Volume 29 (1909)
Coalburg Seam. This seam, which lies at a variable interval above the Winifrede, takes its name for Coalburgh, Kanawha County, where it was first mined, and it was this coal that first gave the reputation to the splint coals of the Kanawha series.
See also: Notes on the Hard-Splint Coal of Kanawha Valley from Sept. 1881 edition of The Virginias
From: First Annual Report of the State Inspector of Mines to the Governor of the State of West Virginia for the Year 1883
From: Annual Reports of the State Mine Inspectors for the First and Second Districts of the State of West Virginia for the Year Ending June 30, 1891