Fairmont, Morgantown & Pittsburgh Railroad
The railroad, apparently backed from the start by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O), was created to extend the B&O's line from Fairmont to Morgantown, and also to connect with the B&O line at Uniontown, PA. Construction of the route was delayed by legal disagreements with the West Virginia & Pittsburgh Railroad over right of way rights -- in 1884 at Fairmont, and later at Point Marion and along the Cheat River, where there was room for only one railroad.
The railroad line was finally opened to South Morgantown by January 30, 1886, and to Morgantown a few days later, but by this time the railroad was operated and controlled by the B&O. The extension of the railroad from Morgantown to Uniontown, on which grading began in the spring of 1892, was practically completed early in 1894; and after some delay occasioned by the bridge across Cheat River at Point Mason, was opened to traffic the following summer -- soon resulting in the opening of many new coal mining operations in the Fairmont Coal Field and Monongalia County.
At first inadequate for the vast freight which it carried, in 1907 the road was improved by equipment with new 85 pound rails and by a double track over part of its route.