Kanawha & Michigan Railroad
In 1892, the Kanawha and Michigan Railroad (K&M), originally chartered in April of 1890, completed its rail line between Point Pleasant, WV (Mason County) and Charleston, WV (Kanawha County). A year later, in 1893, the K&M completed it's an extension of the its rail line to Gauley Bridge, in Fayette County, which provided a transportation link between West Virginia and the Great Lakes region.
The completion of a bridge in 1893 by the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O) across the New River, at Gauley, provided the K&M a link with the C&O, at K&M Junction, near Gauley Bridge, WV.
In 1910 C&O interests bought control of the Kanawha & Michigan, planning to use the K&M to connect the C&O with the Great Lakes area, but anti-trust laws soon forced the C&O to abandon its K&M interests.
In 1922, the K&M leased its line to the New York Central System (NYC), eventually became a part of the NYC. The NYC expanded the old K&M line with the addition of a branch line to Middle Creek, in Clay County, and another branch line to Swiss, in Nicholas County.
Surviving K&M Structures
The former K&M combination (freight and passenger) station at Gauley Bridge was moved to a new location, and now serves as city hall for the town of Gauley Bridge, WV.
The former K&M freight station in Charleston, WV is now the location of the Capitol Market.
A list of other surviving K&M structures, in Kanawha County, can be found here.
K&M's predecessor line: Kanawha and Ohio Railroad, reorganized as Kanawha & Michigan in 1893 (?)
K&M was controlled by The Toledo and Ohio Central Railway Company, between 1903 and 1910. (?)
K&M was merged with Toledo & Ohio Central in 1938, and Toledo & Ohio Central was merged with NYC in 1952. (?)
If you have information or can provide clarification about these topics, please consider posting a message in our forums.