Thurmond Coaling Station
Location: Thurmond, WV, in Fayette County
Built in 1922, the concrete reinforced coaling station, was designed by the Fairbanks, Morse and Company, of Chicago, IL, to hold a 500 ton capacity of coal. A reinforced concrete sand plant was also installed in connection with the coaling tower's coaling cute.
Prior to the completion of the coal station, the tenders of steam locomotives stationed out of the Thurmond Terminal were loaded with coal from the coal mining tipple at Stone Cliff. Through trains, operating along the C&O's mainline, took on coal at other points on the mainline. With the increased use of newer, larger steam locomotives on the C&O's mainline during the 1920's, the railroad soon found itself in need of an additional fueling point for its locomotives.
Steam locomotives burned coal, used to heat water to the boiling point, thus producing the steam needed to power the locomotive. In addition to coal, steam locomotives also required sand, used to give additional traction on sometimes slippery rails.
See also: Thurmond Coaling Tower - Scale Drawings