West Virginia Midland Railroad
In April, 1906, the West Virginia Midland purchased and took over the Holly River and Addison Railway Company, which operated a railroad between Holly Junction to Webster Springs, WV. The Holley River & Addison Railway had purchased, on May 15, 1899, the Holley River Railroad Company property, and had, by 1899, completed its line from Holly, in Braxton County, to Hechmer, on Holly River in Webster County.
The Holly River and Addison Railway was incorporated on September 10, 1898. By 1902 it had completed a branch line from Diana, a point on is main line, to Webster Springs, to develop and offer passenger service to the town's well known resort hotel, the Webster Springs Hotel. In a few year after its creation, in 1897, the hotel had become a popular vacation spot, frequented by visitors during the summer months seeking the resort's salt sulphur waters, famous for their so-called "medicinal" qualities.
Some of the West Virginia Midland's rail lines were built by their original owners as standard gauge, others as 36-inch narrow gauge, and some sections were operated as three-rail, dual-gauge trackage. By about 1917, the West Virginia Midland had completed grading work on its main line, for the purpose of converting all of its route to standard gauge.