West Virginia Short Line Railroad
The West Virginia Short Line Railroad (WVSL) was formed by Henry H. Rogers (who would a few years later build the Virginian Railway), T. Moore Jackson and others during the early 1890's. The purpose of the road was to build a rail line from a connection with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad at Clarksburg, extending from there in a northwestly direction, through the towns of Lumberport, Wallace, Jacksonburg and Pine Grove to a point on the Ohio River at New Martinsville, WV. Then line from Clarksburg to New Martinsville was completed in 1899, and opened for traffic in 1900. The railroad opened up the rich coal fields and timber regions which contributed to the wealth of Clarksburg and the entire region. In September of 1901, the B&O RR absorbed the WVSL, changing its name to the Hartzell Subdivision.